Leather is a great material for bags, but it can be hard to maintain. Leather is expensive and needs special care if you want to keep it looking like new. Here are 20 tips on how to do just that:
1) Avoid storing your leather bag in high temperatures or humid environments as this will dry out the natural oils and cause the leather to crack.
2) Protect your leather bag by using a dust cover when not in use and don’t store it near windows where sunlight may damage the color of the bag.
3) Use a small amount of olive oil or coconut oil regularly on your leather bag as it will help restore its natural luster and preserve its quality over time.
4) If there’s any dirt, clean it with a damp cloth and let it dry naturally. Do not use any cleaning products on your leather bag as these may damage the finish.
5) If your leather bag starts to look a little faded, you can try using a quality leather conditioner to help restore some of its colors.
6) Avoid getting your leather bag wet as this can cause the material to stretch, fade or even crack. If it does get wet, dry it off as quickly as possible and apply some leather conditioner if necessary.
7) Keep an eye on any scuffs or scratches on your leather bag and take action as soon as possible by using a felt-tip pen or a very small amount of nail polish remover (acetone).
8) Keep any zips on your leather bag closed when not in use. This will prevent them from grabbing dirt and dust, which can affect the operation of the zip over time.
9) Avoid wearing high heels or other hard shoes with your leather bag as this may cause scuffs. However, if you do find some minor scuffs, there’s a good chance they’ll come off very easily with a little gentle cleaning.
10) To get rid of odors coming from your leather bag, put several dry tea bags inside to absorb any unpleasant smells. Leave them overnight and then remove them before putting your bag back in storage.
11) If you see that watermarks are starting to appear on your leather bag, try using a slightly damp cloth to gently remove them.
12) If you have a leather bag with a shoulder strap, avoid over-stuffing it as this may stretch the material and cause it to become loose over time.
13) Occasionally rotate your leather bag so that it doesn’t get too much wear in any one place. This will help to keep it looking even and prevent any areas from becoming faded or damaged.
14) If you’ve got a valuable leather bag, consider using a lock to protect it from thieves when you’re not using it.
15) Make sure that all of the buckles and straps on your leather bag are fastened securely before taking it out and about. This will help to keep everything in place and prevent any of the hardware from becoming loose and disorganized.
16) Regularly brushing your leather bag with a soft, bristle brush will help to keep it in great condition and remove any dirt or dust that may have gathered on its surface.
17) Periodically try cleaning your leather bag with a quality leather cleaner and some absorbent cloths. Make sure you add plenty of water before gently rubbing it on all sides of the material.
18) Don’t allow liquids such as water or tea to come into contact with your leather bag, especially when they’re hot as this can damage the color of the material.
19) If there’s a rip in your leather bag (no matter how big or small), consider taking it back to the store you bought it from so that they can repair it for you.
20) If all else fails, and your leather bag is looking beyond saving, it’s always worth considering buying a new one – but make sure you get a good quality one this time!
Leather bags are a great investment as they often last many years with the right care. By following these simple tips, you can keep your leather bag looking as good as new for a long time to come!